Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Nov 23, 2004

Sliwinski, Montana's infamous po·lyg·a·mist has fled

This one offers up plenty to talk about.
First, the article says they think he may have gone to Mexico.
That reminded me of a book I read last year called "Under the Banner of Heaven"
In the book, there is a place in Mexico where American Morman polygamists live in peace, or in other words hide from the American authorities. I will have to check this book out again from the Library and find out which town it was.
I'm curious as to whether Montana would bother to have him extradited.

Sliwinski believed to have skipped country to avoid prosecution
By CAROLYNN BRIGHT - IR Staff Writer - 11/23/04
As Leah Comeau gets on with her life in Helena, the question on law enforcement officials' lips is: Where is Thomas Sliwinski?
Sliwinski has been on the lam since September after he failed to appear for a hearing to determine whether his suspended sentence for having sex with one of his young brides while she was still underage should be revoked."I no longer trust the legal system," Sliwinski wrote in a five-page letter addressed to Judge Jeffrey Sherlock in explanation of his decision to abscond. "I no longer believe in truth anymore."Sliwinski pleaded guilty to criminal endangerment last year in connection with a charge by prosecutors that he had sex with Comeau's younger sister before she reached the age of 16.Sherlock sentenced Sliwinski to 10 years suspended and ordered him to obtain sex offender counseling as a condition of that suspended sentence.

Earlier this year, Sliwinski was convicted of tampering with evidence in the criminal endangerment case and received a five-year suspended sentence to be served consecutive to his 10-year suspended sentence.Again, Sherlock ordered Sliwinski to obtain sex offender counseling.In June, prosecutors were notified that Sliwinski had terminated his therapy with counselor Kevin Wyse without the permission of his probation officer. Apparently Sliwinski disagreed with Wyse's recommendation that he move out of the home he shared with his children and Comeau's sister - the victim in the criminal endangerment case.Sliwinski was arrested at that time and prosecutors initiated the revocation process they hoped to bring to a conclusion this fall.At the time of the revocation hearing, Sliwinski communicated to authorities that his vehicle had broken down in Utah and he would be delayed. He never appeared in court again."I will go for the legal system is blind," he wrote in his letter. "It wishes no truth to be known. Perhaps they will try to catch me, but till that day comes, if it be one day or 100 years, no one will ever hurt, (undecipherable), or try to kill any of my family members."Lewis and Clark County Attorney Leo Gallagher said officials believe Sliwinski might have taken his family to Mexico to avoid prosecution.Comeau said it concerns her that Sliwinski remains under the radar of law enforcement, but she won't let her fears govern her life."I can't sit here and waste my time worrying," she said.She said she periodically receives letters from Sliwinski at her post office box, and although their contents portray her as an evil woman who destroyed the family, she lets her older children read them."I want them to grow up knowing him," Comeau explains. "I want them to come to their own conclusions. I fought those kinds of battles with my own father."Comeau said she has one regret about leaving the "The House of Thomas," and that is that she wasn't able to take her younger sister, Heather, and the rest of the family with her.Heather remained with Sliwinski in Craig, and is probably hiding out with him now.Comeau said she has come to the conclusion that she can't help someone who doesn't want the assistance, but she hopes her sister will muster the courage to leave Sliwinski one day."I miss her every day," Comeau said. "And I'll be here for her when she decides to leave."If you have any information about Sliwinski's whereabouts, call Crimestoppers at 443-2000.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

depends on what view you are looking from. you have his side,the wives side, the goverment side and well i think everybody translates everything to the way they want to hear it.

Big Sky said...

sheryl,
I'm not sure what your comment means? Can you clarify your point?