This is a letter to the editor I wrote in response to the ID Theory "controversy" in Darby, Montana.
I used to live in Darby and my eldest brother & his family currently reside there.
2-26-04 (this one was published)
Where did that fantastic I.D. presentation come from as to persuade 3 out of 5 school board members into going against their own legal counsel? Type I.D. into an internet search engine and this can be found: Intelligent Design network, inc., Institute for Creation Research, Access Research Network, InterVarsity Press, and Remarks of Sr. Fellow David DeWolf to Darby, MT School Board from the Discovery Institute - A conservative think tank out of Seattle. These internet sites and associated links all point to how and why the Intelligent Design Theory scheme is the latest, greatest and effective ploy since creation science. They are not really interested in the scientific method. It’s just part and parcel of a religious political agenda. A main player inside the ID clan says they should not separate the political from the scientific. They purposely put the cart before the horse. The scientific community tries in vain to point out that the proponents of I.D. either display ignorance or deliberately misrepresent evolutionary science. So ID representatives bypass our scientific and educational professionals, and present ID first to religious groups then school boards where it’s easier to persuade the non-scientific community that ID is indeed scientific.
Since then, thanks to the Ravalli County Citizens for Science and the Darby community, the school board members who fell for this scam were voted out of office.
For more detailed information about The Darby Debacle see the National Center for Science Education http://www.ncseweb.org/default.asp They defend the teaching of evolution in our public schools. I've met a few of their people and was impressed with their efforts in defending not only evolution but The Scientific Method against religious fundimentalists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment