The question I have is, how can these people claim to know for certain that the deceased is in heaven or even will go to heaven? Maybe the deceased had a dreadful secret and murdered someone? This is why I hate going to funerals, the clergy goes on and on about how wonderful the deceased is and how they are "in a better place" How can they know that for sure?
I had an elderly relative pass on recently and I went to her funeral. It killed me when the preacher pontificated over my dead great aunt like she knew her. If she really did know her, the preacher couldn't honestly claim my aunt is in heaven. I think, but I'm not sure my aunt was agnostic but def·i·nite·ly not a church going Christian.
I thought only God will decide who goes to heaven?
I was also under the impression that no one goes to heaven until Christ returns and all are judged? I thought that was why for centuries a Christian burial meant the whole body was interred awaiting resurrection. Cremation or organ donation ...was not an option in the "good ole days".
I almost resent having to go to religious funerals, it seems the clergy stands up there telling me that I too will die (maybe soon) and I had better hurry up and find Christ or else. The Clergy know they have a captive audience and will contain people like me at the funeral.
This is one of many reasons why I have became a Humanist Minister, funerals should be for the living not the dead. Funerals should be used as a tool for friends and family members to say good-by to their loved ones as a community and nothing more.
I will be asking many such questions concering Christian contridictions and other mystifying behaviors, but of course I really don't expect reasonable answers.
p.s.
I will comment often about the "good ol days".

No comments:
Post a Comment