Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Mar 3, 2009

Montana's Death Penalty


I have always thought how strange it is that the Catholics I know are for the death penalty and pro-life?

Rome’s Colosseum lit to mark Montana death-penalty bill
By The Associated Press - 03/03/09
The ancient Colosseum in Rome was lit up Monday night to mark an event on Feb. 16 in Montana: The state Senate voted to end the death penalty in favor of life in prison with no parole.

The chamber supported Senate Bill 236 on a 27-23 vote.

The bill is now before the Montana House.

Rome’s Colosseum, once the arena for deadly gladiator combat and executions, has become a symbol of the fight against capital punishment.

Since 1999, the first-century monument has been bathed in light, on the initiative of the peace activist Community of Sant’Egidio and the Council of Rome, every time a death sentence is commuted somewhere in the world or a country abolishes capital punishment.

2 comments:

modej said...

Well, I just see that they are 2 entirely seperate issues. An unborn child has not done anything to deserve a painful death penalty. I don't understand why both sides of the debate think that religion has any place in the issue. I also have a hard time understanding how someone can be "pro-choice" but against the death penalty. I personally am not for the death penalty in MOST cases. I believe that all life is precious, but if I have to take sides than I would be on the side of the innocent unborn versis the person who has committed a heinous crime against another person.
I appreciate your blog and the topics you bring up.

Big Sky said...

1st
I am not for Abortion, I am for Choice. It is up the woman to decide not the Government.

2nd
A person on death row is a living, breathing, self aware human being who may actually be innocent. The Government system for the death penalty is deeply flawed and ineffective.