Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Dec 11, 2010

MT Navy Reserve Xmas Party

I am preparing myself for another Navy Reserve xmas party. It should be a very quiet one, since the Seabees are in Afghanistan. My hubby is home only because he is supposed to retire any day. This will be one of only two xmas parties I will be subjected to this year. I will miss my company party, since I will be on vacation. At least the party for MT Commerce is secular and attending is voluntary and if you want you are asked to bring something to eat.
My husband's new boss and other business partners had a xmas party last weekend and there was a lot of alcohol and food. To my dismay, there was a huge poster of the nativity on the wall. But, then with no real surprise, under the nativity scene was a group of dudes gambling. Rolling dice for cash.

Tonight will be very similar. Most attending will eat and drink too much right after the Chaplin stands up and prays to Jesus. A few years back, I was happy to see one of the sailors roll his eyes during the annual party prayer.
Being a veteran myself I find it intolerable to listen to the God talk of my fellow sailors. They all assume being a true American and a patriot means having a belief in God. I do not get involved with supporting our troops, because the religious have taken it over. Hyper patriotism gives me the creeps. Yes, I love my country and I served my country, but that does not make me that special. People act like veterans walk on water and are practically worshipped. Most veterans have never seen combat, those who have should be given the respect they deserve, most are just like everyone else.
Anyway, I have to sit there tonight, listening to conservative white boys go on and on about whatever…. As usual they assume everyone else in attendance  agrees with them and if not should. I will switch to Vodka tonight.
It might be my last Navy Reserve Xmas Party. Thank God!

No comments: