Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Nov 17, 2010

Grandma's Begonia

I saw a very interesting talk on TED about living things and how long some can live. Most were plants. I was amazed to learn our Montana birch trees can live a hundreds of years. That grove in the gulch up the mountain side is one plant that has been there a very long time. It is the root system that makes it's long life possible.
Then I remembered Grandma's Begonia. I wish I knew were she got it, but she had one, then gave a cutting to her daughters who then gave one to their daughters, and I plan on giving a cutting to my daughter. Therefore this one plant will out live generations of my family. This Begonia is invincible, it is a hardy plant that grows like a weed. It can sit in the same pot of soil for a decade and still prosper. It is up to myself and my sister to ensure this plant continues on through the next generation and hopefully beyond. Is that not amazing!

No comments: