Billy
Pat Robertson recently made offensive remarks regarding Haiti and the recent earthquake there, saying that Haiti had made a pact with the devil. Remembering the way the devil tempted Jesus with worldly goods, the pact with the devil is to obtain fame, fortune, long life, and a good wordly reputation. From this evidence, it seems to me that Robertson is the one who made a pact with the devil since he, more than Haiti, is enjoying the fruits that such pacts supposedly bring.
HakonMontag said on: February 2, 2010, 1:16 pm
The only people that think Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are role models are the fools who keep sending them money.
Good way to bash all Christians though isn't it...
..
Curmudgeon said on: February 2, 2010, 11:30 am
If both Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are supposed to be role models of what it means to be a Christian, then I thank God that I am not.
..
Jack-Ruby said on: February 2, 2010, 8:56 am
Quick1, yes Pat does appear to exhibit some generosity in giving away the money that was given to him by his parishioners. If he gave it all away and lived in a humble Christ like manner as opposed to giving away a very small % of what he actually dupes people into giving him to support his extragavant lifestyle I might agree with you and reserve judgment. This guy is a charlatan and a huckster. Nothing more. The fact that anyone actually gives people like this money of their own free will is a sad statement on our society. On the other hand I can save your soul for a one time donation of fifty dollars. Interested?
..
montanaeasy56 said on: February 2, 2010, 7:11 am
I'm thinking, according to Robertson, that since the Haitians made a pact with the devil, then wouldn't we being going AGAINST God's will to volunteer any assistance to the Haitians. Maybe we need to pull all our troops, take back any monies and save ourselves BEFORE God's wrath comes down on us.
..
quick1 said on: February 1, 2010, 4:34 pm
Jack -
I believe you're actually referring to Jerry Falwell, although I think that Robertson generally concurred with Falwell during a live interview, but then apologized profusely a day later for his language and for his mis-interpretation of the argument. I'm not sure, of course, that's just what I recall from almost a decade ago. Perhaps you have detailed transcripts of his words?
I agree that Pat makes a lot of poorly-worded statements (on several other occasions over the years too). So does everyone else in the public limelight; we can pick and choose to be offended. I don't particularly care for the man or a lot of his message, but I don't really pay him much attention him either.
All I can say is that the man certainly has a philanthropic streak about him, having provided aid for disaster relief and education in countries around the world for years.
So unless you and I can cough up $3 million in aid and dozens of doctors to help treat the sick in Haiti today, I suggest we reserve judgement.
Cheers.
..
Jack-Ruby said on: February 1, 2010, 3:30 pm
Yeah Quck1, that Pat Robertson is a real stand-up guy. Like when he said 9/11 was God's punishment to America that was really moving.
..
getaclue said on: February 1, 2010, 2:41 pm
foosball is the devil!
..
quick1 said on: February 1, 2010, 1:50 pm
Billy -
Just so you know, Pat's comments are based on the historical accounts of the 1791 slave rebellion at Bois Caiman, where slaves supposedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. Haiti's subsequent history has led many religious figures and historians, including members of Haiti's own govermnent, to believe the country is "cursed."
Pat also called, according to his beliefs, for intense prayer for all Haitians. His 700 Club humanitarian arm has been providing health care, basic education, and job training skills in Haiti for almost a decade, and they have delivered shipments of over three millions dollars worth of medications to Haiti just last week.
My guess is that Pat's actions probably make up for his occasional foot-in-mouth comments.
What's your contribution?
..
rinnie said on: February 1, 2010, 10:22 am
Spot on!!

No comments:
Post a Comment