Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Jul 23, 2009

Suggested Reading


It was suggested to me, if I like to read books that I should read the Holy Qur'an. I do have a copy I picked up in Saudi Arabia. It is one of the many holy books I have collected over the years. It's a pretty book, but I have no time to read it. Nor do I want to make the time for that matter. Life is to short to spend time reading something someone else thinks I should. Now if I was a religous scholar maybe then I would have to read all of them and study them. That is a lifetime in itself. And give me a break, theologians can't agree what means what in them.

I have not, like most American's, have read the Holy Bible all the way through.(thats what the clergy does) I have read about and heard enough pieces and parts of it to know it's an ancient book for people who like to use it to beat people over the head with, knowing full well very few people really know what is in it.

I started to read it once after I became a Born Again Christian years ago and put it down shaken after I read about the genocide (still going on) the Old Testament God commanded. I tried to continue but gave up halfway through the list of begets.
I actually would like more people to try and read the whole Bible or Qur'an. Sometimes when a modern person reads it, they are horrified by what’s in it (like me) and lose faith. I don't think today’s enlightened, kind and compassionate humans could possibly accept what is written in the so called Holy books and still think they’re a good moral guide.

For sectarian folk I suggest reading "Asimov's Guide to the Bible" for the secular, "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong.
For those of you who don't read any books, to my consternation, try the web page "Athiest Guide to the Bible" http://www.atheistguide.com/

No comments: