By Kim Caldwell, 07/01/08
Regarding Martin Kidston’s article last Sunday, “Gay union brings out worst in some Helenans” — I may not agree with the way some readers chose to voice their feelings about the IR front page article on same-sex marriage, but I believe that Martin’s assertion that their opinions are a boot on the back of gays and lesbians “in a thinly disguised effort at hatred and segregation through the law” is just plain ridiculous.
I believe the majority of conservatives choose not to speak up on many issues because they don’t want to be labeled like this. Disagreement for moral or legal reasons does not equal hate. The conservatives I know don’t hate anyone. The IR should welcome the right for everyone to voice their opinion without resorting to name-calling and shaming.
Reader Comments:
4061111 wrote on Jul 1, 2008 8:25 AM:
" Maybe a lot of people don't speak out because the gay/lesbian issues aren't all that important to them in the scheme of things. Likely they know somebody that is homosexual and either they like them or they don't. But it's probably a personality issue rather than one of sexual orientation. Of the gay/lesbian people I know, most are delightful; some are plain idiots. But believe me, I know lots of idiots that are heterosexual too. We just never discuss their sexual orientation, we all have so many more things to talk about. "
ccsaintdawg wrote on Jul 1, 2008 8:20 AM:
" "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."
-Abraham Lincoln "

No comments:
Post a Comment