I need some advise.
Some of you may not already know but my husband is in Iraq. Because of that, I and other families with spouses serving overseas have been asked to attend a Patriot Program at the local public grade school were my two kids go.But,I am cornered again. The Clancy School is sponsoring this Patriot Program this Thursday in the gym. It is being set up by the town's Methodist Church. To my dismay, I found out this morning they want my daughter to say a prayer during the event. I don't know what to do? She goes to the Catholic Church when her father is around, she held a part in the Methodist Christmas Program and she now goes to Awanas on Wednesday night. She is 10.I have yet to ask her how she feels about it. But, I'm not happy. Concidering I don't believe in prayer and do not support the current administrations decision to invade and occupy Iraq. Should I attend? If I go I will have to sit there and watch my only daughter being used as a puppit by the Clancy religious community. They are teaching the kids Religion and Patriotism go hand in hand which is wrong. Some of you may remember my post earlier about a woman who sent me a disparaging email about athiests. Well, she will be there, her husband is serving along side mine. It will be very uncomofortable. Also the other spouse has sent me a few prayer chain emails. Its driving me mad. Am I wrong? Overreacting?

6 comments:
I don't think you're overreacting. I think you have every right to be concerned. I also think you could handle it several ways. How about telling your daughter how you feel, but letting her make her own decision about whether to participate?
If you go, you could make it clear in some way that you are there to support your husband and your daughter, but not to support their agenda. Maybe wear a big button or T-shirt with a message of some sort. Or write a letter to the editor.
Just my ideas .... Good luck.
(By "their agenda," I mean the organizers, not your husband and daughter.)
"They are teaching the kids Religion and Patriotism go hand in hand which is wrong."
That right there shows me that you are not wrong.
Heya Lori,
I'm not sure what to say (not that it would help - too late!). I'd be interested to hear how it went. Did you go? Did your daughter say the prayer? This is a tough, tough situation. My initial thought would have been to teach her a prayer that tells people to think for themselves and to be peaceful! (I'm sure such a thing could be found or pieced together from the Bible).. "Blessed are the peacemakers..." I think the current administration and war are very very far from 'patriotic' AND 'Christian' so I think you'd have a chance to point that in various ways. As far as the rude Christians go, turn the other cheek, you're better than them and if you can show them kindness despite their offensiveness they'll back off (I would hope). Most people disparage atheists because they don't understand that atheists can be good people too - show 'em otherwise. :)
My $0.02
The only important benefit that could come from such an event is to give comfort and solace to the folks that have loved ones serving there. It does not sound like it will give you comfort or solace.
The only remaining question is: will it give your daughter comfort or solace?
It looks like I am late on this, but that is my $0.02
First. Excuse my weird wording, English is my second language. I saw in my own life, that my beliefs where shaped mostly by the way my parents conducted their life, that was a stronger influence more than what they said or tried to teach me to believe.
For example, they would say once In a while how disgusting are people from certain race, although they treated everyone with equal respect (is this odd?) I learned
to see everyone deserves equal treatment. My believe ended up being: al races are equal.
If you spend enough time with your daughter, and she loves you and admires you. You wont have to teach her, or tell her your believes, she will learn them trough example.
I think this influence is far more powerful than the ones of organizations and other people with unethical motives. As long as you let her open her mind in skepticism, she will learn to reason istead to just believe.
Now,for the moment, if she goes and prays, and you just watch it. You can explain her later, that you showed up just because you love her no matter what she does.
There are better set ups to declare own belives. Lets try not to confuse her… for the moment.
Post a Comment