MACEDONIA, Ohio (AP) -- For years, Lent meant huge chunks of fried fish on Fridays for George Ehrman, a longtime parishioner at Our Lady of Guadalupe in this northeast Ohio town.
But the dinner plate was decidedly lighter for Ehrman at a recent Friday fish fry in the bustling parish hall: grilled salmon packed with omega-3, fiber-rich rice pilaf and green beans.
"I was happy when I found out they were offering this for the first time," said Ehrman, whose health requires him to eat a low-salt, low-fat diet. "It's very tasty, too."
Parishes have long used the Roman Catholic abstention from meat on Fridays during the Lenten season to hold fish fries that bring people together and raise money. Now with more people trying to eat healthier food, many churches are offering lighter fare, including grilled shrimp, baked fish, fresh tuna and crispy, raw vegetables.
There's still plenty of battered cod, haddock and other types of seafood submerged in oil. And there still are servings of potato-stuffed pirogi, macaroni and cheese, french fries or other heavy side dishes on parish menus.
I need to get on wikipedia and study more about what Lent is supposed to be. I am married to a Catholic and he does insist we eat meatless meals on Friday's during Lent. I not being raised a Catholic think its a bit silly. I almost always forget and start browning burger when my hubby needs to remind me I should be opening a can of tuna instead. His usual fare for this time of year is; for breakfast-peanute butter sandwiches, for lunch-bean burritos or a Burger King fish sandwich and for dinner-Tuna Noodle.
I remember when we were first married I asked he try sacrificing something else during lent, thats what its really all about right? He chose giving up beer. He wan't able to do it. Eating fish on Friday is easier obviously for everyone. The Seafood Industry loves it.
My in-laws in their usual conservative intensity will not even flavor thier rice with chicken boullian. They take everything the Church demands very very seriously. If you consider thier restrictive lent diet, my husband actually fails to properly observe Lent. His fav bean burritos have animal fat or lard in them. Then there are eggs in the noodles, Do eggs count? Cheese?
I don't mind tuna noodle so I don't complain about it(too much). We have it just about every week anyway, its quick, easy and inexpensive.
I just went online and found out that its of course much more complicated, leave it the the Catholics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent
I never realized that the number 40 is so prevelant in the bible. Its very interesting. Thats another topic of its own.
Lent is 40 days of fasting similar to the Muslim Ramadam. I would like to try fasting. What is it about it that its a big part of these two religions? Fasting is found in many cultures.
I have always been facinated by religion and I can see I am more interested in it than most religious people are. I think that is very typical of people like me. Its my hobby. It is also why I like to blog and write letters. To share what I have learned. But, as I have seen over the years. most especially with my husband, people prefer to live in blissful ingnornace. They either do not want to know anything different and or just plain do not care about it. It does not interest them, like I have no interest in Nascar. I digress

No comments:
Post a Comment