Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Mar 27, 2007

Patriot Program Cont.

I went, and I am glad I did.
My daughter and a friend of hers wrote up a quick prayer the same evening as the event. When we got there I was surprised to find out that Peri was to give the invocation. So, I’m not quite sure they got from her they expected. I did not have her change anything. The best part of her prayer was about Peace, I could not have asked her for more and it was very short and sweet.
There were only three families represented, it is a small community. The program was held in the school gym in the evening, therefore it was not required all of the students to attend. The only thing that bothered me was the whole 2nd grade class was brought in to sing both patriotic and also religious songs. They sang a cute song citing every single state of the nation, but I could not help thinking did every 2nd grade parent feel ok with this? It was the only class where all of the students were “required”? to attend. But, then again I think it was also the only reason there was such a show of attendees in the audience. The 2nd grader’s parents came to see their kids perform.
Personally for me the best part of the whole program is when they asked all of the veterans in the audience to stand up and be recognized. I was able to stand up proudly and show those who know me I am one of those “atheists in a foxhole” that supposedly do not exist. This made it all worth while.
Overall it was not so uncomfortable as I thought it would be, I think because I have made known my stand on such issues, it was a positive for me to go and show them I too am a full member of their community.

Thanks for all of your advice and support.
Lori

1 comment:

Patia said...

Good for you. I'm glad you went. It's important for people with different beliefs to stand up and be counted.