Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Aug 23, 2006

First I was sad then mad...

Helena woman killed in I-90 crash
By The Associated Press - 08/23/06
MISSOULA (AP) — A Clinton man entered Interstate 90 going the wrong way early Tuesday, narrowly avoiding one vehicle before sideswiping another, killing a 31-year-old Helena woman, the Montana Highway Patrol said.The man’s pickup struck a car carrying a family of four at about 1:15 a.m. near Clinton.Brigette Ehlke, a passenger, was killed, the patrol said.Two children in the back seat, ages 4 and 5, were in car seats and suffered minor injuries. The driver, Ehlke’s husband, Matthew, was not injured.The pickup driver, a 29-year-old man, suffered serious injuries.He left the scene on foot but was apprehended in Clinton about an hour later, the patrol said.

I have learned and now agree with some, that alcoholism is not a disease. It is very controversial to say so, but I now think its true. Drunks are drunks becuase they have lost control. They do not understand they really do have the power to quit. For decades now people have been told it is a disease, therefore it gives them an excuse to keep drinking.

Yesterday, two little children have lost thier mother. Its unforgivable we continue to "treat" drunks. There is no such thing as treatment for a behavior. Look at the failure rate of AA. Its horrible. Only 5% stop drinking and only for awhile. Its disgusting people are sent to AA and are taught they can't quit, that they have a disease and so the drunk thinks ok, might as well keep drinking. They hang out with other drunks, talk about getting drunk, talk about things they did while they drank. This is supposed to help? They are not the victoms, these two little children are. Sorry about this, I normally don't write about such things, but being a mother of two this one really seemed to hit me hard today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear what Elkhe's husband and his two motherless daughters have to say at AA meeting. Another thing that upsets me that is required of AA members is group prayer. They recite to the point where it's meaningless. Our entire country needs an upgraded, effective reform system...from AA to Prisons.