I was surprized to get an email about a month ago, asking if I would mind being interviewed. At first I didn't know if it was for real or not. Then she said she was with BBC and I relaxed and replied yes. She and another person from the BBC were coming to Montana in August and they wanted to meet with me. I was excited and worried. What kind of questions would they ask? What it be positive? I have seen so many athiests on T.V. shown negatively. But after a few emails I was comfortable. The nice lady from BBC said it was going to be a documentary on "Atheism in America"
They arrived at my house about noon August 10th. It lasted about half an hour or 45 minutes. I felt comfortable and I think it went well. Of course, afterwards I think back and thought, I should have worded an answer this way or that way. Maybe I should have not said this or that at all. They may or may not even use any of it or maybe some parts I will like or not. It is kind of scary. I hope they let me know if they do use any of my interview. It will be interesting to see what kind of reaction there will be from family, friends, nieghbors and the public overall. I don't know when it will air if ever. But overall it was nice someone actually found me, was interested in what I had to say and it felt good to be recognised. Not that I like publicity. I may regret it later. Who knows.
The questions asked were not threatening, so I have a good feeling about itl. What was my background. Why or how did I become one. How I was treated overall by the community, family. Asked about my being a Humanist Minister. What did I say during the wedding ceremonies..... I did talk about my immediate family abit. My husband knows nothing about this interview. He is a Catholic. I will tell him only after I find out if I will be on T.V. or not. Or my kids may bring it up. They are 10 and 12. It's not that my husband doesn't know what I am or seems overly concerned about it. He and I just don't talk about things like religion or politics. We are opposites on everything. Even how we mow the lawn. Its weird but it seems to work for us anyway.

1 comment:
Congratulations! Please post and let us know when this will be aired. I get some BBC channels on Comcast digital cable and would LOVE to see it!
I really enjoy your blog :)
-Dar
Post a Comment