Quote of the Day

Call on God, but row away from the rocks
Hunter S. Thompson

Dec 11, 2011

Xmas Parties this year

The 2011 Season (1st Sober)

Actually had a great time at the Navy Reserve Xmas party this year! No prayer and not a single person said Merry Christmas. Amazing!

On the other hand, someone at my office suggested we sing Christmas carols at the office Christmas party. I cringed and thought, I will have to find something else to do next Friday. I managed to skirt attending last years party, but we have a couple of new ladies in our department that have been over zealous in preparing for the party. Its seems to me, its no longer voluntary. I was asked outright if I was going to participate in the Secret Santa, and I reluctantly said yes. I feel like complaining to management about the blatant abuse of my goodwill. I did not forget to sign up, it was on purpose damn it. This is not my favorite time of year. I do not want to play their reindeer games, especially now that our new employees have decided to take over and I wonder how far they will push it. The way they behave is exactly what one would expect from people who assume everyone celebrates Christmas. Its very rude and unprofessional.
Update: We had our division Xmas party yesterday, it was fun. More like amusing. I did notice there were a few other co-workers like me appeared to be reluctant participants. I wore a Hum Bug Oscar the Grouch Xmas t-shirt under my hoodie. I did flash it to those I trusted had a similar outlook about the festivities. I admit it was fun, its just very irritating to be "pressured' to attend and play along. And it was telling to see our new Christian co-workers decorations and especially all the posters, screamed "Merry Christmas"! not Happy Holidays. A blatant, thumbing of the nose to half the people in the room. I have decided to send a Xmas card to management and ask them to tone it down a little. The handful of true believers we have had way too much fun strutting their stuff.
Talking about Xmas cards, I did not send any last year and will no longer do so. My sister sent New Years cards last that works for me. I digress, A Mr. Hitchens received a card, written on a torn piece of brown paper bag, was something like this: Money is tight, times are hard, Here is your dam Xmas card.


By the way, we do have a tree in our house and we open gifts Christmas morning, just like I did growing up. We don't go to midnight mass, or go to church or perform grace. Its all about family and spoiling ourselves and our children, since really we have need for nothing.

This year will be different for us, we will be staying home (2nd time in 18 years). It won't be as much fun, with just the four of us, but it will be less stressful for me and to make up for it, the kids can ski everyday on the local mountain. Also this year, I will be taking vacation the week between Xmas and New Years.The best part of the "Holiday's" for me, is when we have friends and family over New Years Eve. We play pinochle and then Wii past midnight.

Have a Happy New Year

No comments: