Damn I missed it?!@# I find it very frustrating when I hear about these things after they happened. I read the paper everyday and did not see any mention of this seminar.
I googled him and he was instrumental in the controversial Jesus Seminar. He doubts the supernatural aspects of the Jesus story and states that the bible was not to be taken literally. This would be my dream job, being a Biblical scholar or something to do with the study of religions. Now it's only a hobby.
Great series
There are many events that remind me of the advantages of living in Helena. This past weekend was perhaps the most meaningful as we were privileged to be able to hear from one of the most emminent Biblical scholars of our generation, John Dominic Crossan, lecturing in Montana for the first time in his career. My wife and I attended his three-part lecture series with great anticipation, but it is safe the event far surpassed those expectations. Mr. Crossan’s insights, humor, and humility provided for captivating and thought-provoking sessions where the time just flew by. It was no small feat for St. Paul’s United Methodist Church to make this possible. The considerable costs required a significant ticket price and a fundraising silent auction, and I suspect money from their general fund as well. They provided something wonderful for our community, and I wish to recognize that publicly with great gratitude.
Craig Wright
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I've known Crossan since the late '80's and used a good bit of his approach to the words of the Historical Jesus in the NT courses I taught in the Philippines as a missionary.
Now that we've "retired" to Florida, we've had Bishop Spong and Crossan the last two Februaries and will have Hal Taussig. Our church has fewer than 200 members but we have a pretty good attendance in the Tampa Bay/Orlando area.
The exciting thing about this church to an "old nontheistic" follower of Jesus is the response of all layers of our church. Many were "blown off" by some of the more scholarly aspects of Crossan's and Spong's lectures, but really liked their approach to religion as a "here and now" experience.
For what it's worth, Taussig's work on Progressive Christianity not only list our congregation but also describes a lot of what we do in response to the impetus of Crossan and others.
Frank Glenn
Post a Comment